This program is for young people who are highly motivated and ready to work and play hard, and who demonstrate additional responsibility in accepting the challenges of leadership. While not required, it is recommended that applicants have leadership experience or experience working with children.
Positions are available during Summer Day Camp only. We do not allow Jr Counselors to work during the school year.
Junior Counselors (JCs) gain valuable training and experience by providing support to instructors and group leaders at camp. Jr. Counselors are supervised by instructors, group leaders, Camp Coordinators, and the Camp Director.
There are a limited number of spaces and an application is required. If interested in applying, please submit a Jr. Counselor application. The Application Fee is $25.00 and non-refundable. This is a very competitive position.
After application is received, it will be reviewed and applicant will be contacted regarding acceptance or non-acceptance into the program. Space is limited to 4 Jr. Counselors. Qualified applicants will be accepted on based on criteria set forth by UHS.
This is a training position with a stipend upon full completion.Stipend amounts range from $250-$1000 for 8 weeks. Each Junior Counselor will be given 2 t-shirts to wear with khaki shorts or pants for each day of work.
CALL (803) 667-2396 to get more info on this program!!
Summer Day Camp Job Duties Include
- Assist instructors and group leaders with their campers
- Take initiative, find ways to be helpful to instructors and group leaders
- Help incorporate diverse activities into lessons
- Develop relationships with all campers and avoid playing favorites
- Actively involved with all campers, not sitting or disengaged
- Help connect camp values to activities in a developmentally appropriate manner
- Help campers feel united as a group by promoting theme days and camp traditions
- Help all campers make friends and enjoy the camp experience
- Display appropriate behavior (action and language) around campers, parents, and staff
- Avoid rough-housing/over-stimulation behavior with campers
- Provide general supervision and downtime activities for all campers in his/her care
- Help keep track of all campers, follow check-in/out procedures
- Walk children safely between locations and on water/bathroom breaks
- Assist campers with belongings, lost and found, sunscreen/water, trash pick-up, etc
- Resolve disciplinary problems appropriately, request help when needed
- Demonstrate good judgement
- Demonstrate responsibility in regard to schedule, meetings & trainings
- Help keep equipment and supplies in order, well maintained, and in the proper location
- Dress in appropriate attire/uniform
- Maintain a positive attitude while working, help wherever needed, work well with others
- Display good customer service skills
- Accept feedback and makes necessary corrections
- Follow all camp policies and procedures
- Perform miscellaneous tasks as requested by supervisor
- Ability to relate well to children.